Written Practice PDF Template? (US)

Dec 30, 2016
I can’t imagine I am the only one running into this while performing electrical testing in various industrial facilities:

The customer does not have a written practice for electrical safety.
They are requesting one. Keep in mind I am an electrician not a lawyer.

1. Is there simply a PDF somewhere that would be an up-to-date template that I could provide them?

2. Are there legal repercussions in doing this – e.g. one of their employees gets hurt now I am giving a deposition for providing this template.

Best regards to all,
Timothy

Ken Sellars

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Mike,

You bring up a good point. As an electrician providing service to a client, this puts you in a unique situation. Here is how I would address the issue:

1. Ensure that YOU and/or your company has a written electrical safety program (ESP). This policy needs to address the major factors covered in NFPA 70E, such as risk assessments, job briefings, required audits, host-contractor responsibilities, PPE and the like. These are all listed in NFPA 70E 110.1.

2. No matter where you find yourself working at, always be certain at a minimum to follow your company’s written procedure

3. Prior to working at any host location, be sure to hold a documented pre-job briefing with the client. In this meeting, explain that you have a written ESP, and that you will be following your written protocol while working at their facility. Ask at this meeting if the location you will be working at has a written ESP. If not, inform the company of the requirement per NPFA 110, and again stress that in the absence of a local written ESP, you and your employees will be following your program.

4. If a company asks you to provide them an ESP, pleasantly refuse to do so, and direct them to a professional organization that can assist that location in ESP development. e-Hazard is one of those companies. These programs need to address specific hazards in the local working environment, as well as cover all applicable OSHA and possible state/local requirements. No boiler-plate program is going to do that, and I would never offer one to a location for liability reasons. Written ESPs need to be specific, address all recognized electrical hazards, include a written Qualified Electrical Worker program, and a host of other items.

Obviously, your primary responsibility is the safety of your company’s employees as an electrical contractor. Be safe out there and realize that in today’s world, any company out there without a written ESP is operating in a risky and careless manner.

Hugh Hoagland

Staff member
Dec 30, 2016
Louisville, KY
www.arcwear.com
We do offer two electrical safety program (ESP) templates in our ESP Compliance Strategies Course. If you attend our course you receive our template we use to write programs so you can do this yourself. There are a few good written programs on the internet at EFCOG.org but they always have to be customized for the site.

Our template is in Word and has been used at more than 1000 companies around the world. It is based on the latest version of NFPA 70E and OSHA standards. You can recommend the class and we even send the template out ahead of the class, when asked, for those who are paid registrants.

http://e-hazard.com/arc-flash-training/electrical-safety-program-compliance-strategies.php